I find myself leaning more towards not using Chatspeak. When I send a text, e-mail, or instant message I usually spell out the words. I would never use Chatspeak for e-mail or a paper. I do find myself using “u” instead of “you” when texting someone. However I usually only do this since you are limited on the amount you letters you can use in a text.
I like what Greg Monfils the Academic Dean for the Urban School of San Francisco has to says about chatspeak. “If chatspeak is leeching into papers, it’s probably due to a small bit of rebelliousness as opposed to obliviousness. The kids want to see if the can get away with it”. This here seems pretty accurate of a typical high school student. Students are always looking to see what you will except and what the bare minimum they have to do for a certain grade. I know in the past my teacher have told the class they will not accept any chatspeak in their papers.
I could see how you could allow it at first for a student that is hard to reach. Maybe you allow them to use it at first and gradually move to the correct usage. This would be like having a student read a comic book then build up to a novel. I think students are pretty good about not using chatespeak while doing papers. Just like they know that it is inappropriate to curse in front of their grandparents. However I could see if you allow them a little slack to do something, they might tend to push the limits on what they can get away with.
No comments:
Post a Comment