I don’t feel that Educational technology is shortening our student’s attention span. In a way I might even argue that technology is actually benefiting our students attention span. If you think about it who can really sit through a two or three-hour lecture with out having your attention span go crazy. However if you use technology or make sure you are giving some breaks to the students you are now engaging them and allowing them to stay focused. If anything video games, T.V. and the Internet has helped students with the ability to sit for an excessive amount of time.
I believe that being able to multitask is an important tool for people to have. Its an art in its own way, having the ability to concentrate on more than one thing at a time is a useful tool. I remember as a young kid listening to music while I did my homework. I found that I was able to concentrate better on what I was trying to do. However when my parents came in the room I was told I could not do both. I could listen to the music when I was done with my homework.
So one of the things that have stuck with me so far is the idea of meeting the students where they are. Catering to the student’s strengths and abilities. So when I read this line “Students today are born with a “mouse in hand”” from the online article “Is Educational Technology Shortening Students Attention Spans” I thought yeah if the students are learning to use a computer before the walk why not use technology to reach our students. We have learned that when you teach another something you learn it as well. So why not use their strength of technology to teach and reach each other. Why would you as a teacher not want to meet the students where they are and use their strengths to learn?
No comments:
Post a Comment