Friday, July 17, 2009

Social Networking

I just did a Google and yahoo search of my name and was pretty surprised to see how much stuff pops up for my name. It was not all me but it was pretty interesting to see. I did both my full name Marcell Molenkamp and nicknames Marc and Marco. I also searched myself on Pipl, this was kind of scary to see what people can find out about you with just a little money. In all of these sites that were linked to me there was nothing bad just seemed like an invasion of privacy on some level.

When I did the Google and Yahoo searches of my name the first things that came up where Wilson Baseball and Portland Public School sites. Since I am still employed with Wilson, my name and work info came up on these sites. The thing I found interesting was how many of these random sites that I have nothing to do with had general work information or these classmate and reunion sites that had info. The only other site that I was linked to was Facebook, a memorial site for my mom, and my blog spot. I was surprised that my MySpace page did not come up at all. I also tried checking my handles and only onsite that was linked to any of my handles came up and that was to a car site.

When I did the Pipl search I was amazed on how much information came up. When I put in Marcell for my first name the first two things that popped up were an old address and phone number, and my birthday and parents address. Other information that I found was one of my email addresses and Relatives of mine. When I put in Marc as my name. My MySpace page came up along with my blog, classmates, and more Wilson baseball and Portland Public School info.

For me there would be nothing that I would change. The social networks that I do have are set to private and only my friends can look at them. The other sites that are linked to me are nothing that I am embarrassed about. I do think that teachers probably showed be held to little higher standard. We as teacher have a very big impact on the youth of today. Is this far? Probably not but that is the way it is. One of the things that I always find so interesting is how students, teachers, and other people don’t set their social sites to private. Just like in the article when the kids change theirs to private. I know so many high school kids and teachers that do not do this and I find it so amazing. All you have to do to help protect yourself is click on small little button.

www.spoke.com/info/pCpZmhS/MarcMolenkamp

http://www.facebook.com/people/Marc-Molenkamp/214900595

http://www.wilsonhsbaseball.com/Newsletter/2007/NL-July2007.pdf

www.board.pps.k12.or.us/.docs/pg/.../boardbook_comp_061206.pdf

www.facebook.com/people/Stan_Molenkamp/1019008400

wilson.pps.k12.or.us/.docs/pg/400/.../Student_Handbook_08-09.pd

http://www.classmates.com/directory/school/Wilson%20High%20School_11.jsp? org=8518

http://www.portfolio.com/resources/executive-profiles/Marc--Molenkamp--105476806

http://molenkamp.blogspot.com/2009/07/digital-nativesimmigrants.html

http://home.comcast.net/~pollymolenkampfund/

http://osaa.org/coacheducation/coachescertified20070801mn.asp

http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/index.php?&name_box=&sort_key=members_display_name&sort_order=asc&filter=ALL&act=members&max_results=20&aim=&yahoo=&icq=&msn=&posts=&joined=&lastpost=&lastvisit=&signature=&homepage=&name=&photoonly=&st=3720

No comments:

Post a Comment